Problems playing online poker in the USA using a VPN

Discussion in 'Android Poker Apps' started by Toby82, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Toby82

Toby82 New Member

I've been debating whether I should try playing online or mobile poker using a Virtual Private Network in the United States to mask my location. Using a VPN to hide my location and IP address would enable me to play at poker sites like PokerStars or Full Tilt again. I'm wondering if it is worth the risk because I've read that PokerStars issue a lifetime ban to anyone who uses a VPN to play from inside the USA.

I've done a little research and the key problems seem to be...
    • How do I cash out if I'm required to supply bank details when my bank is located in the US?
    • PokerStars, 888, PartyPoker and other sites monitor VPN IP address so it would be impossible to use a well known service without being caught. Does anyone have a list of lesser known VPN's that aren't banned or monitored?
    • My IP address is not going to match the country of the Credit Card that I am using to make a deposit. This usually raises a red flag for their fraud departments and I may be asked to supply additional documentation.

Perhaps it's not worth the risk of losing all the money in my account but I'd love to hear of other players experiences in using VPNs to play real-money poker in the US?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2016
  2. Sebastian

Sebastian Administrator Staff Member

PokerStars and Full Tilt are currently in the process of applying for a gambling license in New Jersey that would see them return to the US online poker market for the first time in 3 years. Because of this I think they will be ultra cautious about making sure that no US-based poker players are playing at their rooms as this may jeopardize their bid to legally return. I think you'll end up losing your bankroll within a couple of days so it's not worth it.

3. Chelsea

Chelsea New Member

I played online at PokerStars for a day using the Hide My Ass VPN but they eventually froze my account and all the money. Customer support are refusing to process my withdrawal so I've lost a few hundred bucks. Not worth the risk if you ask me.

4. Sebastian

PokerStars are currently trying to reenter the US marketplace so the last thing they want is for US players to illegally come in through the backdoor and jeopardise their bid. For this reason I would not recommend playing via a VPN. They will close your account and you will lose your bankroll.

5. Paddy68

Paddy68 Member

Can US poker players enter a fake European address at PartyPoker or PokerStars and then deposit with bitcoin? How are they going to know where the funds are coming from?

6. Sebastian

Yes, you can provide PokerStars or Full Tilt with a fake address and deposit with bitcoin but when the time comes to request a payout they are going to ask you for a copy of a utility bill and your drivers license or passport. If they are sending you a cheque you are not going to be able to give them an address in the U.S. either so any money you win at the poker tables will be lost.